Built in stone at the beginning of 16th century, the Sea tower was originally erected to reduce the impact of naval cannons during the attacks of Pisa naval forces. This little renaissance fortress was then used for centuries by the small garrison of Genoese soldiers deployed to protect the walls, until the decline and the dissolution of the Republic of Genoa due to Napoleon’s conquest wars.
With the fading of its strategic importance, the tower was gradually degraded, becoming a warehouse for fishing nets and equipment.
At the end of the 19th century, the building was first converted to a dwelling and then, after significant renovation works in 1951 and 1963, it was enlarged to its current size.
Owned for over a century by the Pandolfo family, the tower has been totally renovated in 2014. The rooms of Torre Porto Venere are on the second and third floors of the house, while the first and the fourth floors are still inhabited by the heirs of Pandolfo family. The large photogallery extensively illustrates the evolution of the building in the past two centuries.